Sunday, February 5, 2023

Superzoom Fever Dreams


I reckon I'm no Steve Jobs, but then again, in general I prefer lurking in the shadows, sitting on the back bench, sawing away on the double bass to seeking any kind lime light. I'm cool with my low profile. But anyway, the point I wanted to make is that even if I was smart, I never would have come up with the idea of combining a telephone and a camera because I kinda hate phones. I'm biased, man. Truth be told, I prefer talking on my watch, but that's a topic for another day... But anyway, my vision for the future of camera tech was the increasingly capable and miniature superzoom camera. Funny, right? Almost the exact opposite of how history actually played out. But now, a decade later, the superzoom camera with its enormous telephoto reach, is the one type of camera that can do what a phone can't. Like getting decent shots of things far in the distance. The Fujifilm X-S1, the only superzoom I have left, with it's wild 633mm field of view on the long end, was brought to market at precisely the wrong time in 2011, when the iPhone was just hitting its stride and 'serious' photographers were demanding more and more megapixels from the massive DSLRs hanging around their necks. But these days, with everything being shared on little screens, perhaps it is time to start carrying a superzoom in your sling. Just a thought...